Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Favorite Change Quote of the Day

 

It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not. –James Gordon, M.D.

As you might remember from a recent post, last fall I gave up drinking Diet Pepsi.  Now I am in the process of giving up chocolate.  I say “process” because it’s an ongoing decision.  Some days I do well and some days I slip up a little bit.  What’s somewhat surprising to me is that the longer I go without it, the less I want it.  Since Jan. 1, I’ve only had two setbacks.  Once my daughter handed me a Ghirardelli chocolate when we were riding in the car.  To be honest I think I ate it before I even thought about it.  The other time was this week when I was freezing and decided that one cup of hot chocolate would not send me reeling back into chocolate-dependency.  Both times, afterward I thought “Why did I even do that?  What’s the big deal?  I would have been just as happy without it.” 

Last night I was having a conversation with a good friend about giving up pop/soda (whichever you call it in your part of the country).  She couldn’t believe my “willpower”.  Couldn’t believe how I “strong” I was that I could put up with having such bad headaches for the 10 days while my body was going through withdrawals.  I don’t see it as willpower or strength.  In my mind, I was simply ready to change!  Now when the opportunity comes up, the thought that runs through my head is: I do not drink pop.  or I do not eat chocolate.  It’s just a simple statement but a powerful reminder to me that this is a choice I have made.  And, so far it has worked pretty well. 

When I make a positive change in my life, it’s really hard for me not to desperately want that same change for the people I love.  So this quote is an excellent reminder that we’re not all on the same page or willing to make the same changes at the same time.  :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! I love your feedback!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin